Fostering in Manchester
You can foster in Manchester.
In Manchester we would particularly like to recruit foster carers who are able to care for:
- Brothers and sisters.
- Older children and young people.
- Children from BME communities in particular black children and increasingly those from new migrant communities.
- Children that will be in foster care long term.
- Children with additional needs. This might include behaviour that challenges.
Manchester City Council values the contribution of their foster carers and offers a generous support package. This includes:
- Generous financial allowance on average £380 per week per child, this will depend on your skill level and the age of the child you are fostering.
- Comprehensive training programme including the ‘Skills to Foster’ course and ongoing development opportunities.
- A social worker specifically allocated to you. You can expect to receive regular meetings which are a chance for you to talk through any problems and share information about children in your care.
- Support groups for you and your family near to where you live.
- Support from our experienced foster carers through Manchester’s buddy scheme.
- Max card for you and your family to access discounts on North West leisure activities.
- Leisure passes to access Manchester swimming pools and gyms free of charge.
- Financial support for children’s birthdays, holidays and festivals and initial equipment for children’s bedrooms, plus a prom clothing allowance of £150.
Staying local also includes additional benefits such as:
- Lower travelling distances, for example to school and meetings with birth families.
- Links with Children’s Centres, schools and other professional services.
- The benefit of your local authority’s knowledge and experience as our teams have often been working with the child’s families for a long time. Local authorities have a lot of important background knowledge which they can share with you. This also helps us to match children with the carers who are most suitable for them and their circumstances.
If you’d like to foster for Manchester please complete this form and your enquiry will be emailed to the local authority you have selected.
If you’d like more information you can visit the Manchester City Council website here
Thank you for making an enquiry about fostering for Manchester.