Fostering in Bury
You can foster in Bury.
In Bury we are currently recruiting foster carers who are able to care for:
- Sibling groups of 2 or 3 children.
- Older children and young people.
- Children from BME communities and increasingly those from new migrant communities.
- Children who access the “Short Break” scheme or who need regular planned respite.
- Children with additional needs, including behavioural or emotional difficulties.
- Young people who require “Supported lodgings” placements to equip them with the life skills to prepare them for independent living.
Bury recognise the importance of offering a comprehensive support package to foster carers. As a Bury foster carer, you will receive:
- Generous financial allowance which will reflect your skill level and the age of the child you are fostering.
- Mileage payments plus additional payment for birthday, holiday and festival celebrations.
- Comprehensive pre and post approval training programme including the ‘Skills to Foster’ course and ongoing development opportunities.
- Access to a multi-agency professional team to support you and your placement needs.
- A social worker specifically allocated to you.
- 24/7 telephone advice line.
- Buddy scheme to support new carers.
- Equipment provided.
- Regular support groups and specific “birth children’s” training and social events.
- Foster carer and children’s parties.
- Discount card for all carers to access a variety of leisure activities and restaurants in Bury.
- Membership to the Fostering Network which is a great resource for foster carers.
Staying local also includes additional benefits such as:
- Short travelling distances, for example to school, contact with birth families, meetings and training.
- Caring for Bury children from your local community.
- Links with Children’s Centres, schools and other professional services.
- The benefits of your local authority’s knowledge and experience as our teams have often been working with the child’s family for a long time. Local authorities have a lot of important background knowledge which they can share with you. This also helps us to match children with the carers who are most suitable for them and their circumstances.
If you’d like to find out more about fostering for Bury please complete this form and your enquiry will be emailed to the local authority you have selected.